Wednesday 5 September 2012

Welcome to Trinidad Baby!!!




Well, a slightly belated post due to problems with my blogging app, but here I am at last. I am currently sitting on my veranda in Tobago, having booked a week of relaxation post-pioneer school. It is beautiful here, but more of that in a bit.

Trinidad was a special experience, as I was privileged to be part of the 4th ASL Pioneer School in Trinidad - the 124th Class in Trini. There were 25 of us in total, hailing from Trinidad, Antigua, Guyana (including two from the States and yours truly from the UK) - a truly international class. The instructor, in his final comments, noted that this is the most experienced class he has ever taught, being made up of need greaters, interpreters, special pioneers, elders, an ex-Bethelite, and an MTS-grad. It was definitely a mixed bag! Here is a photo of us from Guyana - I will have to do a separate post with the whole class as need to take a photo of the photo.



To be honest, I went with a couple of expectations that were not fulfilled, but I gained so many other things from the class - both through instruction and association. It was such an intense experience, compounded by the fact that it was conducted in ASL - and 1980’s ASL at that. Trinidad is still very much ‘behind’ in terms of how the organisation have moved forward with natural signing, so I think they gained something from us ‘outsiders’ coming too and being able to share experiences and ideas. 





One of the unexpected highlights of the trip were my hosts! Due to last minute changes, I ended up being placed with a couple who were the most fantastic hosts that I could ever have wished for. Che and Natalie Afong: THANK YOU!!! These guys really showed me a good time and, although it meant a little candle-burning-at-both-ends, made the experience fantastic on all levels. They seemed to have the intention of making me taste every type of food on offer, thus I have put on a huge amount of weight!!! Thankfully, here in Tobago I am just eating fish and swimming, so most of it has gone already! Their generosity was truly an expression of the ‘brotherhood’ at its best. 



Two weeks over, I was properly knackered! I had had the good sense to not head back to Guyana straight off but to grab a week in Tobago. A couple of friends had said about joining me, but the husband fell ill just before, so they had to cancel. So: a week of solitary confinement. I am sure I would have enjoyed the company, and it would have made things easier for me to get out and about and do trips to share costs, but a week of doing nothing is exactly what I need right now. The past few months have been crazy busy and I haven’t really had time to stop and digest any of the experiences, as I have ping-ponged into the next one. A week hiatus - the plan was to soul search and think for a week, but instead it has been drinking beer and watching movies - horses for courses! I am staying in Castara, which is well known on the island for snorkeling and diving. My hotel/Guesthouse thingy is literally ten yards from the beach. It is very quiet and has a few little restaurants nearby, so I am happy. Back to Guyana on Friday - groan!!!



I hope pioneer school and the Tobago rest will allow me to go back to Guyana with a renewed vigor. I have made no secret that I struggle at times in Guyana, especially in the signing field. I hope that the recent encouragement from the school and the brothers and sisters will enable me to go back with new energy and an adjusted perspective. I do feel very blessed to be out here, doing what I am doing. It does feel like a trip back to Blighty is coming soon, to see the rents and all my extended family in London - whether a return to Guyana follows soon behind, time will tell. 

Right, I have put three posts into one here, sorry! Enjoy some of the photos and I will try to improve on the blogging positive experiences, rather than the moans! 

Love to all...

david 

1 comment:

  1. enjoyed reading that...very jealous of time in tobago. Interesting to hear you mention natural signing - I've heard a few mentions of it over here recently. safe journey back to Guyana
    S

    ReplyDelete