Sunday 30 September 2012

Me again... The pen is mightier than the sword

Or in this modern day age, one could say the stylus is mightier than the sword! I talk of course about the use of pictures and technology when preaching.

Today's meeting was combined with our sister group and I had a young lad sit next to me for the talk and watchtower. He is a deaf study of about 14 years and hadn't been able to study the watchtower for some reason. Today's was the Proclaimers article, about the history of the Organisation etc. He had not one clue about what was being discussed, so I took out my iPad and went to work. Within a few mins, he had a full grasp of the content, had answered twice and had commandeered the iPad and was now drawing his own pictures from what he understood! I know most of you don't understand how amazing this is, but to us, this was brilliant to see.

It was made more poignant to me as the young lad has missed a month of meetings. He is having a really rough trot at the moment as he lives in an extremely alcohol fueled, abusive house and is currently taking some severe beatings. Some days he has been prevented from attending the meetings, other days he just doesn't want to go. Seeing him there today, his face lighting up when he saw me and seeing him thrive through using pictures, it made me so desperately to spend time teaching the lad. In Jehovah's care do we leave him.

I enclose a few pictures of the type I try to use in my min or when showing deaf how to note-take. They are not great works of art, but they work!

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely.....well drawn, good use of shading. Just don't let Laura Brignell see you write 'Jeh', its a pet-hate of hers! xx

    ReplyDelete