Sunday 30 September 2012

Through new eyes...

Through new eyes do old sights become clear...

 

Good evening my lovelies. We have just got back from our 'monthly' combined sign language meeting with our sister group. I paranthesize monthly, as we haven't had one, or I haven't been at one for about five! There were forty something in attendance, with twenty-four deaf. Lucas, the brother visiting from the U S of A delivered the talk in fine style and did himself proud, having only been here for a few weeks. He actually delivered a talk in the morning in English and then this one in ASL - not uncommon here to give two talks, but I am sure it was strange to him.

It has been nice to have Lucas and Dan here for the last few weeks. First and foremost, it is fab to have other blokes around! True they are American, but they cannot be blamed for that and science has taught us that even monkeys can learn to communicate, so there is hope for them yet! Honestly tho, the serve where the need is nicer crew tend to be wholly female and there is only so much a man can take. The guys arrive with beer and don't turn up their noses to 'its gone midday - anyone for a rum'. Bliss.

I was with the two of them on the ministry the other day, doing the thing I enjoy the least here - search work. I have become jaded to certain things - familiarity breeds contempt I guess - but being with the two of them was just refreshing. Everything and everyone we encountered was met with enthusiasm and delight - their taking pictures of flowers I have seen a thousand times, laughing at the transport, marveling at the accents. It is nice to see through a borrowed pair of eyes the wonderful richness of Guyana (tho buried under a pile of rubbish) and the absolute privilege of having served here uninterrupted for over a year now.

This refreshed perspective becomes more poignant as I contemplate a trip home. It has been a year and a month since I left blighty - I missed the riots, the Olympics, the rains and the sun. I miss the people and the white wine! Hopefully it will be a small visit before returning to Guyana, not the one in Africa, but we will put that in Jehovah's hands. I am thinking of five weeks or so from the middle of dec. Whilst at times I have wanted to run from this place, it does feel like home. Having the boys come and throw new light on it, illuminates me to the place that this country occupies in my heart.

'Anyone for rum...?'

No comments:

Post a Comment