Monday 22 October 2012

Mmmm

So, after complaining about being hungry, I thought I would share something I love to eat here in Guyana. It is originally African and is a hearty, end of day of ministry meal. I always get one Aunty to make it for me, as her family love it and it is a special thing to have so much food going around. They eat the left overs for a couple of days, there is so much of it.

Friends, meet Metagee, or Metem as some call it. The Aunty who makes this does it a little different, depending on whats in the larder and in the market. We never have steak, just the catfish, or salt fish.

Enjoy:


Metagee
Weight or Volume Ingredients
6 ounces flat iron steak, cubed
6 ounces pork shoulder blade, cubed
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups coconut milk
1 pound sweet potato, peeled, cubed
1 pound yam, peeled, cubed
1 pound plantain, peeled, cubed
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 habanero, seeded, finely chopped
1 pound catfish, cubed
1 red onion, cut into rings
1 pound okra, sliced
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter, small cubes
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup milk
Procedure: Dust beef and pork with flour and sauté. Add stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Add coconut milk, sweet potato, yam, and plantain. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add habanero and thyme. Place fish on top of meat and starches, then red onions, then okra. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Rub flour and butter together. Add baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add enough of the milk to make a stiff dough. Form into balls and place on top of veggies. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, I've been trying to explain it since I got back! I am DESPERATE for my photos David.......seriously......

    ReplyDelete