Monday 29 October 2012

Going the extra mile...

Just wanted to share a story about this young man.

He is from New Amsterdam and fourteen years old. He has had a bad trot of late. Without going into it, he was taken off the school temporarily and has been labeled by many in the congregation as the 'bad-boy'. It is so sad - he has taken it all to heart and so has stopped coming to meetings.

Everyone in the hall is really worried about him, as I am. So, I came up this weekend with the goal of seeing Robin and giving some encouragement. Success! We get on really well and were able to have a good old chat about what's been going on with him. I took him out for a ride in a taxi and went to a KFC-type place for a treat. He is from a poor family, so was nice to treat him to something. We talked at length about how he feels about meetings etc and he said he would come with me to the meeting on Sunday and sit with me. I wasn't sure if he would make it, as he has apparently said this every week.

Success again! As the meeting is starting, in walks Robin - the second meeting he has attended in seven weeks. He did really well and answered a load of times from pictures in the magazine and that I had drawn. I took him out again for food and then we went and played football with the English congregation and he loved it. It was so nice to see him thriving and enjoying being with everyone.

The brothers here have asked me to come up regularly and study with Robin and a couple of others, but it just isn't possible at the moment. I am just going to try and be a friend-at-a-distance for him and try and catch him each time he falls from the net. Leave the rest to Jehovah. It is ones like Robin who make Guyana worth it for me. I had Robin on one side and another study of mine, who is fifteen, on the other - Vishal, who has also been missing a lot of meetings. It was so nice to see them attentive and eager to answer. Smiley face.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment