Tuesday 20 August 2013

Port Number 1...

TRINIDAD!!!

So, I have landed in my home from home - Trinidad. After having come here a year ago for the ASL pioneer school, I have been able to return to Trini (TT) a number of times now - it is such an amazing place with such amazing people.

So, with free flights on offer to travel to America for work, I couldnt help but wangle a few days stop-over in TT to see my lovely friends - Che and Natalie. They are just so hospitable and relaxed. The word that sums up TT is 'hospitality' - say it together now: 'hospitality'. I remember at pioneer school, the class ended up singing to us 'Guyanese' a song that was written for the International Convention called 'Welcome'. The thing is, in many places, this is said in jest, with levity, or utter hypocrisy. In TT, it comes from the heart. It was so funny last night, Natalie was complaining that they have not had the privilege of feeding the speaker for about 8 weeks - so funny, here they WANT to host the speaker!

Anyway, so I flew from Guyana after being dropped off my my friends who wanted to drive me up and say goodbye. We hired a car and travelled up to the capital to go to the movies, eat and play around until the early hours when they would drop me at the airport. It was cool, but I regretted it, as the flight was delayed by about three hours.






So, here I am in Trinidad, ensconced in my cocoon of luxury working whilst my friends are out at their jobs. Last night, a brother - Carlos - came over to cook for us. He is a chef at a five-star hotel here in Port of Spain and a great personality. He is flying out on Thursday to Uganda to cook for the government! But, he spared time to come and cook for me - so cool. Okra, pig tail and swordfish pilau... was lovely!

Carlos - the TT Ainsley Harriot

Pig Tail... Yep...

Smells awesome

Enough to feed 20

So, today I am heading off to New York - actually, tomorrow at 0040. Thankfully, I have a business class ticket, so me and the minibar are going to be fine friends. Two of my sister's friends that served in Nigeria with her are meeting me - the Priscos. They are an amazing couple whom I hope to get to know better over this month.

Ill be trying to make my blogs interesting... sorry in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment