Thursday 26 April 2012

Technology contradiction

Hello all

I hope you are well.

Things here are busy. I had to take a trip to Georgetown (the capital) on Monday to get a visa for Suriname as I have completed another three months (nine months now and counting!). Interesting news is that they have introduced a long awaited tourist card for Europeans which is easier to get and cheaper, so good news all round. So this week I shall be heading across the waters to visit some friends with another English couple, where the brother will do the talk in the English congregation, which will be a nice change.

This made me laugh the order day. I visited New Amsterdam hall last weekend and took a picture of their phone-in technology - very funny:





Whilst this did not surprise me, something else happened that made me appreciate technology and was slightly scared about how it so easily has become ubiquitous. I was on an English study with friends and they have a deaf three-year old called Daniel. He was a bit unruly and bombastic so I showed him my iPad drawing programme to give him something visual. It was amazing to watch. Within about fie minutes, with some trial and error, he had worked out all the multi-gesture commands (five fingers to close, three to swipe, two to go up a level within the programme and the use of the home screen). It was like he has been a user for years. I didn't have to show him anything. Shows how natural these interfaces are and how toddlers all have a Stephen Hawkings lurking inside of them. I took a video but is too large to upload.

Miss everyone, but not the rain you are all experiencing. We have had our own share, along with all daĆ· black outs, but at least it is still boiling hot.

Ciao for now.x

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Love it...! I'm going to learn some ASL for my trip accross...xx

    ReplyDelete