Wednesday 2 November 2011

OASIS


It is both eponymous and literal. I am currently sitting in an air conditioned, wireless connected, proper coffee serving, Perrier providing coffee shop called ‘Oasis’ – but I am still in Guyana! It is like one of the wonders of the world! Amongst the arid wasteland that is Guyana, the capital still smells like the backside of a cow, yet, thanks to the Embassy Quarter, Oasis has been created to cater to their more Western needs, much to the glee of Guyana’s inhabitants.

I am in the ‘metropolis’ today to apply for a visa that will allow me entry to Suriname for a few days and see me popping across the waters to renew my visa for Guyana. Yes, guys and girls, I will have completed 3 months here by Tuesday – sorry to whomever lost the sweep stake with that prediction. I had planned to go to Trinidad, but I was a little scared that if I went over, I might not come back! I would have had to have stayed for at least a week in order to get the cheaper flights, and I did not feel that I yet deserved a week off. I am going to save it for a treat, much like the whiskey that Leon bought me – ‘open in emergencies’.

It doesn’t feel like 3 months has passed, it feels like a much longer time, which I am not sure is a good or bad thing. I have already done quite a lot here and feel in a rhythm for the min etc, have learnt some local lingo and know what Guyanese food I do and do not like – fast work for 3 months me thinks. Will I last a full year, who knows! Some friends went across to Suriname on the weekend and brought be back some chorizo, salami, proper coffee and some red and white wine! That will enable me to last another few months at least!

Missing home a lot. Missing London and all that it gives. I am, however, glad to be out of the rat race and am dreading the idea of coming back to work.

Miss you all. Thanks to those of you who have kept in touch. To those who have ignored me (Mallika), let this be a nudge ;)

1 comment:

  1. Rat race? I don't think you have been up before 10am for a lawwwng time...only jokes, well done for your 3 month anniversary and please never go off the radar again, dad nearly called in old MI5 pals to track you down. Love you xxx

    ReplyDelete