Tuesday 8 November 2011

Suriname and Beach

Hi to all

As some of you know from my mother's SOS to all, I left the country to go to Suriname (neighbouring country that is in fact Dutch owned). Contrary to her belief, I did not die there, rather, I just popped across for the night to renew my visa for Guyana. 3 months completed!!!

Suriname is a bizarre place, made so by the fact that it is a 25 minute ferry crossing, yet could be another world. It has the same climate etc, yet, it is populated by people who do not walk half naked around, by people who do not just throw their rubbish on the floor as they walk, by shops that have a VARIETY of choices and have air conditioning in their restaurants, hell, they HAVE restaurants. It is like a mini-Europe. I had a very sedate evening in Suriname and then travelled back in the morning for the meeting back in Guyana. It was very uneventful, but resulted in me gaining another 3 months in the country. The immigration guy was extremely reluctant to grant me another 3 months, but I think there was a Balaam moment where the dude said 'I will give you a month... well, I have done 3 months'. Thank you Jehovah! So, I am all good now for another 3, which will take me to February.

Monday was a national holiday so we took the opportunity to head to the beach. I had been before, but this time was so much better. We managed to get an area that was quiet and had a seating section (bleachers to the Americans) where we could all hang out. I spent most of the time in the water fighting with all the young boys. As noted before, Guyana is actually below sea level, but defended - this results in the water being all silty and brown. It is horrible. I folded this time and entered the water - kinda like swimming in tepid tea. That said, it was so nice to be in the water and to have a swim. A good day had by all. Posting a couple of pics, and will try to upload more to picassa later.

Miss you all.





1 comment: