Monday 9 September 2013

Summing Up Phase One...

So I have been in the US of A since the 21st of last month, and doesnt the time fly!

This visit is definitely a split-personality affair. I arrived with a burst of theocratic energy and activity and loved every minute of being with the different brothers and sisters and getting a much needed boost of encouragement and inspiration in equal measure.

 Now I am in the second part of the journey - the work stage. I am definitely re-subscribing to the adage - 'we work to live, not live to work.' I really do not miss this life at all. Sure it is interesting living vicariously through someone else, having doors opened to venues and individuals that I would never have cause to meet. It is certainly interesting testing out my ASL in a secular venue and encouraging to realise I am not a complete numpty when it comes to ASL interpreting... but... wow... I couldnt do this again. I miss my congregation. I miss my boys. I miss my studies. I miss my hammock. I miss juiceman in the mornings shouting 'Mr David' with my breakfast. I miss the humidity and sweating. I miss 'home'.

That said, I will not look a gift-horse in the mouth... whatever that means. I am loving the NYC experience and am relishing being here, even if it is full of them blasted americans ;) This is my third time to this part of America. I came here a teen, with my parents and twin (love ya Jo, I miss you too.x) I then came again with some friends as part of the most random roadtrip experience ever, in the year 2000. Coming here as an 'adult' who has travelled the world to some extent and has the opportunity to take some time out and lime, as opposed to pin-balling around the state with no particular agenda - NYC is okay, you know?

 For the first week and a half I was based in Battery Park in Downtown Manhattan. A very lovely area that is akin to Bank and Canary Wharf combined - very functional and full of - you know their type. It was a lovely introduction, but was very much the 'finished product'. The apartment that I rented for my client and I was on the other side of town... and I mean, the OTHER in all senses of the word.

He had stipulated that he wanted access to a gym, yet the work account was taking an age to get approval, so by the time we were ready to rock, the choices were slim as where to stay. I have since realised that Street View is a godsend and can never be underestimated. It can be overlooked, however, which is how we are currently residing in the Kuwait of Brooklyn. To be fair, it is growing on me (proverbially) and is not that bad really, but it was a shock to the system to go from hanging out in the wine bar in the harbour to admiring the graffiti and speaking Spanish in the shop in order to get what I needed. You try to going from Canary Wharf to Tottenham in one day and see if you moan!

 Well, anyway, we have been working a LOT, which was not the original plan, but is the reason we are here. Nevertheless, there have been a few excursions - have a perusal below.

 Wednesday we are off to Washington DC which I am really excited about. I cant wait to see a more 'traditional' historic town. New York is awesome and Jo keeps telling how amazing it is - I just have lost my love of cities a little bit. Hopefully Washington will be a bit more comfortable and a bit more relaxing for us. Have some visual stimuli:






























No comments:

Post a Comment