Thursday 28 June 2012

I return unscathed...

Hi to all...

Well, that was tiring but fun. I left on Tuesday and returned yesterday (Tuesday), giving me a whole week in Essequibo.

I don't know if anyone remembers the 2005 yearbook, but it was focused on Guyana and a lot of the experiences were from the charity and Essequibo regions. It was like walking through the yearbook! We met people and visited some of the places that are discussed. It was great to be in such a different place and surrounded by faithful older ones.

Essequibo is beautiful - more lush, more green and more clean than here in Skeldon. They are purely agricultural, with rice farms everywhere, but it is less clustered than here and everyone takes more care of their homes. Being right on the doorstep of the rivers into the interior was cool, tho we didn't get to travel down them sadly, as our week was packed out.

We accompanied the two local sisters, one local brother and two new need greaters around the sign language territory. It was very interesting to see how the deaf differ from ours, or in actuality, how similar they were. It adds much credence to the claim that they deaf in Guyana have their own local language and do not need to be taught asl.

We had the privilege of coordinating and interpreting for the deaf at the assembly. It was certainly a challenge, with the deaf there being even less familiar with asl than ours. I think people thought we were mad with all The faces and animations we were doing!

I won't go on - I have pictures but I need to get them from my camera to my iPad. I will post another with visual aids for the more multi sensory among you.

Miss you all

No comments:

Post a Comment