Thursday 19 January 2012

Playing hookie

Today started badly - no water at my place, bad nights sleep and feeling a cold come on. It seems we were all of a like-mind at the ministry group: needing a pick-me-up. Even a breakfast of ice cream and Oreo cookies didn't remedy the situation so we took drastic action - we ditched the plans for the morning and grabbed a bus up the coast to the Mecca - Spready's bakery. About an hour away, it is the only place in Berbice that has fresh bread and things you would find in any normal place back home like pastry and nice fried chicken. Despite the bus being made for 15 people and there being an average of 23 in the back, despite seeing a dog eating the carcass of another dog and despite being ripped off for the journey (£1.50 rather than 90p), we arrived at the glory of Spready's. The purchase of cookie mix, fried chicken, spicy chips and a drink over, our spirits were lifted and the world seemed to fall back to usual axis. We chilled in the sun, laughing at groups of school boys practicing dance moves in the reflection of the shop window, glad for the rebellious streak we suffered. It sounds ever so quaint, but afterwards everything seemed a little brighter and we still managed to conduct two studies, finishing my hours for the month. Everything past today is bonus time! Yay! My original flights would have me returning to England in two weeks, but just to let anyone that cares know that I am staying longer. I am now the only brother here for sign language and would hate to leave our merry band in the lurch. I am the only one caring for the male studies in the deaf field and have a load of studies with the young ones, so don't feel it is the right time to head back just yet. I might complete the year and come back in August, I might stay beyond that. So for all of you who placed bets on how long I would be here, my six months is already up, and I am still going strong. Missing home like crazy, missing wine, port and whiskey even more, but determined to stay and see what Jehovah can do with me for a lil bit more. Ciao for now.

2 comments:

  1. Well - bitter sweet to hear that you staying longer... Sweet that its going so well and that it feels right to stay... but bitter that it will be a little longer until we see you again:( Miss you - but love hearing all about your adventures and experiences... (p.s. you looking infuriatingly well all tanned.... so its probably best you come back in August when all us pastey Londoners have had a chance to catch up!!) Lotsalove Jup and Trace xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. Sometimes you just need a little pick-me-up. London and the UK will always be here for you to return too but it seems you are doing more good and it is doing you more good there. Glad it is working out for you and keep it up.

    Pepsi

    ReplyDelete