Wednesday 4 January 2012

Just make a hole, it's not that hard

Well, I had my first experience of an outside toilet today! Quite a few of the others have regaled us with stories of the outside toilets and the horrendous events that ensued. After India I thought, what can be so bad... Today I found out. Try doing it in the dark! In India, people generally had buckets of water or a tap and a bucket for one to do one's business, wash and wipe and on one goes. It seems that they were five star accommodations. The bad ones at least had a stack of leaves for one to use to wipe up. Here, I should be so lucky. Today, I finished a study and some of the sisters passed by and said to join them popping in on someone else. Walking along I had that harrowing feeling that I was going to burst and there was nowhere to go. Arriving at the house, I went followed the directions given to an outside loo, with no light, with no hole, with a tiny tap and a flat floor. What was a man to do??? I went for it in my best 'hoicking' action, crying inside of the thought of it all going on me and my shoes! I know this is a disgusting post, but my posts are far too serious and this was one of the funniest things that has happened in a while so I thought I must share. Anyway, in the absence of any kind of ability to clean it all up and stuff, I did what anyone would do - I ran! Ashamed but slightly funny. All I can say is thank goodness I bought 30 bottles of pocket hand sanitizer when I left - a god send! As you all frequent your porcelain this morning, give a thought for those of us living on the edge. X

3 comments:

  1. I have got two words to say... Moist wipes... never leave home without them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously...this is what I get after checking your blog daily? Try doing it after an 8 hour drive to Lagos with only grass...to ....yunno. Anyway I am sending you a care package in the next few days, I will photocopy salient points from the SAS Survival Handbook (we have two copies of that book!!) for your dunny-reading pleasure xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    We are a JW couple living in Sweden. We just want to say that we love reading your blog. You encourage us by the way you live. Whatever troubles you brother, we think your work is amazing. We would love to visit another country. To preach where people listens, to live less stressful and without the materialism pressure. We have been thinking about visit a country where the English language is official language. But we are also a little bit afraid of leaving the comfort. But you were not afraid. We think you are brave. Keep up your good work for Jehovah! From your brother and sister Joel and Petra in the south of Sweden.

    ReplyDelete