Monday 30 March 2015

Bob The Builder.. Can He Fix It?

In reporting on the last month, I completely forgot the most amazing months the preceded. So here it is!

In New Amsterdam, our KH is old and really in need of a makeover that not even Trinny and Suzannah could manage. So, the decision was taken to bulid us a new one - thank you people who make decisions!!! We love you.

Guyana, due to their circumstances, comes under the Lands of Limited Resources (or Lands with no Money) arrangement. I never really appreciated the enormous love that is behind this arrangement until now - to all of you that contribute to the building work funds (you can tell I don't, as I don't know the name!), a huge THANK YOU. There is no way that we would have been able to raise the money to build such a beautiful building. We will look after it, we promise.

The arrangement in Guyana is that there is a team of ten bros and sis who travel around and work full time building halls. That is easier said than done when there are three roads in the country and no way of transporting through the country other than river-ways and planes. These guys are truly self-sacrificing and took me back to my Bethel days with their Kingdom Smile and persistent energy that obviously comes from other sources, not the rice that we perpetually seemed to eat.

Before the project I honestly had no plans of going to the build, as I am completely useless both practically and physically. As most of you know, I can't swing a hammer and even if I could, my arm would fall off. As the project neared however, there was so much encouragement for pioneers to get involved and get fully engaged. Again I resisted, but Dillon - our resident Paramedic American Dude - had to leave the country so I was asked to take over First Aid overseeing, which meant my being on site every day!!! Noooooooooo. Well, like the big fish and Jonah, so First Aid was with me... and thankful I am.

I have had the most fulfilling and physically grueling months prior to this trip to Qatar. Like Bezalel, my useless skills were transformed into Master Builder status - cough, cough. And my decrepit form was transformed into... well, I could swing a hammer at least. Actually I felt like a man-renewed for the first couple of weeks, but me being me, over-did it completely and ended up completely crippled and needing more First Aid than I was administering. The team were so kind though and never made me feel inferior or incapable (well, hardly ever Touissant!). It has been an absolute privilege.

Sadly, due to this work commitment I had to leave just as the paint was going on the walls. I hear the final work has been done and when I touch down on Wednesday, a new hall will be ready and waiting, eager for the first meeting - the Memorial!

Enjoy the pics:

The land was donated by a family in the hall. This represents weeks of prep work and the only time we benefitted from the use of a machine to shift ANYTHING!

Yep that's me...

Learned new skills: leveling sand; tying steel; staying awake on security; and bending ;)

Best overseer in the world! Like, ever!

This sis came to site EVERY DAY of the build and worked like the best of 'em

Health and Safety? Nah!!! I was up here shortly after.

The sisters were an absolute joy throughout 

Love this photo! We were involved (endlessly) in the Ransom, which is the mixing of concrete - concrete, stones and sand with water. Was back breaking work but everyone got involved and kept going morning till night

When the food just doesn't hit the spot in the kitchen... Run away for basically a KFC (Churches).  Luke was hanging his head in shame

In just 6 weeks there was a roof!

Rain or shine... 

The sister on the right is deaf and came every day to site. When she wasn't lifting and shifting, she was cooking in the kitchen. She was a mainstay of the build.

Progress...

Crystal worked almost every day in the kitchen as her husband was the overseer of catering. When she came to site though, man did she work!

Paul from Ghana, who lives in Guyana! Not only a man-mountain but also an artisan

Me and Dillon holding something... Yeah I learned nothing... I used it though!

And there she was when I left!

No comments:

Post a Comment