Thursday 4 December 2014

Back To Guyana I Go...

Ok, well I wrote this last week - better late than never:

After four weeks of business suits, stifling heat and crazy driving in Qatar, it is back to business suits, stifling heat and crazy driving in Guyana! See what I did there. 

Four weeks of working has come to an end and now I get to escape back to the ‘real’ life in Guyana. Qatar has been fun, don’t get me wrong, but it is a surreal place and just non-stop when it comes to work. People don’t live in Qatar for the heat, the food or the culture - they move here because it is a tax-haven, they get amazing bonuses and the salaries are about twice or three times the norm. So, of course, what do people do here? Work. Work. Work.

Go play golf and talk about work. Go to the restaurant with people and talk about work. Art gallery? Sure, lets go with work people and meet with the director and arrange… Blah blah. Its just never ending. Weekends are for wimps, evenings for pansies. People come here and work their little booties off for two years and then get out of Dodge as quick as they can with a little nest-egg in their pockets.

It has been nice though - a little trip abroad, some good food and no humidity (no mossies!!!), change of scene - but I am done now. I have spent some time with a lovely bunch of people but I sadly can’t tell you a lot about that due to political reasons. People’s lives are really interesting here, especially those who are in the same ‘club’ as we are. Its funny seeing 24 year olds driving around in porches and BMW’s and using platinum cards. Despite that, they are trying to keep themselves in the ‘club’ and do their best.

Ill put a few pics up when I get back to the apartment. I fly out tomorrow - 32 hours from Qatar to Guyana and then a 4 hour drive to my house. Ugh… Later people. Hope all are okay.  x


Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment